What is an Enrolled Agent?

Enrolled Agents (EAs) are considered the tax experts of America. The Enrolled Agent profession started in 1884. EAs specialize in taxation and they are licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department. In addition, EAs have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the IRS in the areas of audits, collections, and appeals.

Enrolled Agents provide tax expertise in the areas, individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts, and any other entities with tax reporting requirements. Since EAs obtains their license from the federal government, they can practice in any state in the U.S.

Enrolled Agents must adhere to strict code of ethics and professional conduct guidelines set forth by the IRS. Each year EAs are required to complete a minimum of 16 hours of continuing professional education and at least 72 hours every three years. The provisions of Treasury Department Circular 230 govern how Enrolled Agents, CPAs, and tax attorneys practice in the area of taxation.

Verify Darrell’s Enrolled Agent License

To verify Darrell’s tax license with the U.S. Treasury Department, go to https://irs.treasury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf, enter 95648 for zip code, select 5 miles for distance, enter Early for last name, and select box that says, “Enrolled Agent Credential” and select the search button.